Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Friday, October 3, 2008

All In Moderation

[EDIT - 05/09: I've turned off comment moderation, requiring only the word verification. I still get an email when comments are left, so reason #1 below still holds. #2 does as well, so if I end up getting spam comments I will turn moderation back on. We'll see how it goes!]

As I begin to get more comments (thank you thank you!), a question comes up that I suppose deserves to be addressed by way of a policy.

Should I moderate comments?

I do for 2 reasons:

1) I want you to know that I read every comment. Moderating them means that when you see your comment show up, I've read it. I've paid attention to what you've said. Often, I've already left a reply somewhere on your blog or in your inbox. I created this blog to communicate with people passionate about creativity. I want comments to encourage connection. I moderate to let you know I listen.

2) That said, I also want to maintain this blog's quality of communication. That includes the comment section. I don't like the idea of having inappropriate comments that I have to remove, leaving a "This post has been removed by a blog administrator" message. I'm talking about spam with crazy links as well as socially offensive or personal messages. Fortunately, I haven't had any yet, but prevention seems the way to go.

So please don't take the fact that I moderate to mean I'll discard critical or argumentative posts. In fact, those are what I like the most. They provide an opportunity for increased understanding and awareness, and show you care enough to voice your opinion.

Peace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It must be such a good feeling knowing you're
being transported around town in the back of peoples' minds Daniel. Really good feeling.

bonnieL
triiibe on!

Daniel Edlen said...

Thanks, Bonnie. I'm hoping though that it's more my art that people have in their heads. That's what I want people to connect with because it can work into their own personal culture. I was just watching VH1's top 100 songs of the 80's remembering just about every one for my kidlet days. That's what it's about.

Peace.