Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, September 18, 2008

With My Mind On My Money [EC]

Snoop Doggy Dogg

It's a challenge being a professional artist, let me tell you. People don't usually go out looking for art, and people don't collect an artist's work usually until after they're dead.

I just want to make people happy providing something that helps them remember and celebrate music they love. I've wondered before about how to get people to find me. I think I need to take massive action.

Help me?

I'm still adding to this collection in hopes that some will be inspired to buy art and give to charity at the same time. But, as I'm certainly still a "starving artist", I don't know how to advertise effectively. Word-of-mouth and small scale promotion is wonderful and can be extremely satisfying, however with art, it isn't the most successful. So while I REALLY appreciate anything you out there have done for me to spread knowledge of my work, I need to do something bigger I think.

I've got some ideas for YouTube commercials but that's about it. I don't even have a video camera to try and make them, let alone get the clips to catch on. I'm not sure if people will respond to traditional interruption advertising for art and I don't really have the time to devote to connecting with people on last.fm or other forums.

I'm thinking of trying to get some art galleries to do the whole "wine and cheese" thing, but I'm not sure if that's the right audience to aim for yet. I need music fans, especially music fans who talk to other music fans.

That's why I was so excited that Barbara got excited and is getting a Springsteen for her birthday. That's why I had the idea to get readers to list their favorites in return for a discount. That's why I'm thrilled to be asked to participate in music-related charity events.

Another idea is to try to break into the music industry somehow. Since vinyl is selling, maybe record labels would go for some cross-promotion. I don't know anybody though, you know?

If you devote an iota of attention to this and tell me what you come up with, I'll be forever grateful. Any ideas out there?

Peace.

No comments: