Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Monday, September 22, 2008

Truth Is... (Picture Tommy Smothers' Look Of Bewilderment)


John Lennon - (i) inspired by photo by Iain MacMillan

... what you get other people to believe.

The political content of Smothers' acceptance speech harkened back to John Lennon's era.

The thing that plain sucks is that it still is relevant today.

I caught snippets of the Emmy's last night and Smothers' speech was the only moment that stuck in my mind, other than wondering where Goldie Hahn was in the Laugh-In wall. He still can nail that look, that look like he's got no clue what's going on for a split second and then lets us have it. It's, dare I say, even more subtle than Bob Newhart's delivery.

Anyway, back to Lennon. It turns out that I am the only artist being featured at Primitive Kool this coming Saturday. It's my first solo show! Pretty cool. So we're definitely going to be there.

I also decided to do some more pieces to take to the show. A week of the "J"s: John, Jimi, Jim, Jerry, and Joey. I've got to find a Ramones album to paint Joey, but I found a great, well, clear at least, photo of him unexpectedly. These will all be new images.

So here's John. I know he'd've been at yesterday's Peace Day concert. Peter Gabriel performed along with Annie Lennox and other passionate musicians. Despite the counterpoint of the bombing in Pakistan, I hope the day reached some people's hearts. I think, like Tommy Smothers, that we need to resensitize people to the conditions in the world, to the conflicts between peoples believing their truths, to the ever present need to seek

Peace.

John Lennon 09/22/08


1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I can't tell you how completely disappointed I am that I will not be able to be at your show and meet you and your wife!!!!!!!!!!

DANG!

I hope you come back to SD soon.