Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Friday, September 5, 2008

Did You Grow Up On The Couch Like Me? (Or My Top 10, Err, 20 Sitcoms)


Bernadette Peters
I ended up watching a bit of an infomercial for The Carol Burnett Show DVD offer yesterday. I hadn't known that there were musical numbers too. That bunch of people have made me laugh probably the hardest I have. The way Conway would try to make Korman laugh. The sight gags. The guests, including a riotous Steve Martin.

So, Bernadette Peters was one of the musical guest people. I know her best from Steve Martin's "The Jerk" and the Broadway musical "Sunday In The Park With George". She and Mandy Patinkin sang so beautifully in that, gave me chills a couple of times. But she just is so funny!

She's a particular kind of funny. I love all different types of humor, from Woody Allen and "Bringing Up Baby" to South Park and Will Ferrell, but I really enjoy being able to get into long-term funny characters on TV. Here're my favorite sitcoms:

M*A*S*H
Get Smart
The Cosby Show
I Love Lucy
All In The Family
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Friends
Are You Being Served?
NewsRadio
That 70's Show

Those come to mind as the essential 10, but these next 10 are right up there:

Taxi
Night Court
How I Met Your Mother
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Married... With Children
Bob Newhart Show
Laverne And Shirley
Murphy Brown
Roseanne
The John Larroquette Show

What do you think of my choices? Which would you throw off the list? Which would you add?

Peace.

Bernadette Peters 09/05/08


1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I like all those shows. I miss the innocent times of shows that relied on real humor to make us laugh not just on being sarcastic or crude.

Hey I am giving you a blog award, stop by my blog WFIO to pick it up :)