Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Re(issue)


Fergie and will.i.am

I went to buy The Verve's new album on vinyl at a local independent record store. I bought it to listen to, not paint on.

I decided to check out what else was available new.

There's a lot! It's really exciting to see so many popular and obscure records being released on, well, record!

I realized that I feel differently about new vinyl as compared to old vinyl, though. I'm not totally sure why. In the back of my head, I kind of wondered why they were pressing new releases and remastered old ones.

When I find an old used copy of, say, "Imagine", I treat it like gold. If I found an original release still sealed, no way would I open it, let alone paint on it. I have a hard time even painting on copies of that album that look like they were used as frisbees. Is it my sentimental connection to the music?

I don't think so. When I found out a couple days ago that "Imagine" was going to be rereleased on vinyl and it would be available on Amazon NEW, I didn't really cringe at the thought of buying one, if need be, to paint on. It's not the price, because they'll be more expensive than those used copies I wouldn't use as my canvas.

Then, maybe the key is the "original" part. I do tend to collect things, and I, for whatever blasted reason, do value originals more than copies. But it's not like the original release is better. In fact, remastered versions can be better and most rereleases are now digitally remastered. Oo wait.

I think that's it. When I typed "digitally" I felt something. Why would I treasure, let alone buy, an album released on analog media if the music has been processed digitally first?

That's why I had no problem buying the Black Eyed Peas "Monkey Business" on vinyl, the original release on vinyl, and painting today's piece. It is a digitally recorded and produced album that they simply pressed on vinyl.

You can't add back in the warmth and reality of analog.

So, that's it. I don't mind terribly using vinyl pressings if it's a digitally processed recording.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. What do you think?

Peace.

Black Eyed Peas 09/04/08


1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I agree. Pressing something on vinyl just so it will be "available" is not the same thing.