Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dude (Remember When MTV Played Videos?) [EC]

Steven Tyler

Growing up in the 80s, my taste in music was pretty well influenced by MTV. The artistic and sexual aspects of video both caught my eye as a young teen boy who took a lot of art classes. For better or worse, music videos helped form my visual aesthetic and expanded my musical appreciation.

Aerosmith was one of those bands that I got into probably mostly because of their videos. I'm glad because they've put out solid albums for a long time. From Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" to Tool's "Sober", here're some other musicians that I don't know if I would have given much attention then if it hadn't have been for MTV:

Peter Gabriel
Madonna
Guns N' Roses
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Michael Jackson
Prince
Metallica
Depeche Mode
Faith No More
Red Hot Chili Peppers
U2
Talking Heads
R.E.M.
Devo
Jane's Addiction
Blind Melon
INXS
Eurythmics
Cyndi Lauper
Dire Straits
Billy Joel
Tool

That video of "Sober" still gives me chills. I stopped at '93 with MTV's yearbook because that's when I graduated high school and started getting most of my new music from random finds in record stores and the radio.

I know there're a lot more videos that were instrumental in popularizing certain groups. Who wouldn't you be a fan of if it weren't for MTV?

Peace.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love that art man! :)

Daniel Edlen said...

Thanks! And thanks for telling me!