Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Break On Through

Sinatra and Springsteen

Ahh, the trials and tribulations of being a professional artist. I don't want to rant too much, but today was a stink-fest. eBay sellers dropping the ball, lying, and backtracking. DHL-to-USPS deliveries up in the air with possibly lost paintings. Trademark paperwork almost slipping through the cracks. Miscommunications with galleries leading to delays and maybe losing business. And don't get me started on people emailing me saying they want to commission work with specific requests and then seemingly vanishing.

This is hard, definitely. On days like this I give myself a philosophical head-fake to keep going. Randy Pausch put it that the walls you run into are there just to keep out the people who don't want it enough. A test of desire, basically. Am I passionate enough about my art to break through those walls?

As long as I get emails like the one I got a few minutes ago from another who is passionate about art and music, a director of a fine art gallery and a collector of music from an early age. He saw my work at the FMF 2008 Rock Walk in Orlando, really liked the Jim Morrison, reads this blog, and wants to connect. That's why I'm doing all this. It was nice to get a reminder of that. I don't know what'll come of it, but good things I expect.

Peace.

SOLD - Bruce Sprinsteen, Frank Sinatra 08/14/08

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

Do you still have this one of Bruce?

Daniel Edlen said...

Both of these were indirect commissions through Raw Style in Brentwood, CA. A guy had the records and wanted me to paint on them. I LOVE that!

But I can paint the same image again, just on another record. I'd have to find that one again if you wanted it specifically, but I'm sure I could.