Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Subtle, Daniel, Real Subtle


This Hank Williams is a second gift from her to someone. There's still time to give one for Christmas! Call now! Operators are standing by!

Ah heck, why am I telling you that? I don't even know who you are, you reading this right now. Why are you reading it?

I'm writing it to continue my daily (sometimes twice) blog posting ritual: paint, post. Something. Something'll strike me at some point to blather on about for a coupla paragraphs.

Oh yeah, subtlety. Hank Williams has a very subtle expression. Faces are amazing because we can read emotion into the slightest hint of an expression. It's an instinctual thing. Fight or flight, or something. But actually it's pretty complicated to construct an expression. All the parts of the face play their part, the eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, chin. Lots of muscles controlling contours.

Since I only use white, I'm really kind of sculpting the face. There isn't much physical relief to the paint, but the shading created by how much I build it up produces the illusion of depth. Although, with the subtlety of facial expression also comes the ability of our brains to perceive faces even when there isn't one there.

So, you're doing a lot of the work for me. Thanks.

Peace.

SOLD - Hank Williams 12/04/08

No comments: