Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Limbo, The Void, and "42"

Caleb Followill

I like answers. Especially to practical questions and questions asked of other people. Promptness is good, but eventually isn't never. I like answers because I can then make subsequent decisions based on those answers which I couldn't have otherwise. I can ask more questions.

Quite awhile ago, the Kings of Leon's label teamed up with a t-shirt company to run a contest. The winner of the best design as chosen by the band would have their design available at all the gigs of their tour supporting "Because Of The Times". No winner was chosen, no answer. Fans who entered were ticked off. I didn't fault the band at all. Shit, they were touring behind their first breakout album in the States. It was the handling of the communication that bugged me.

Yesterday, I managed to get the attention of Hugh on Twitter. Got an answer to my question, no he won't go for an art trade. Sweet. Yes or no. Just tell me. Don't leave me in limbo. Starbucks never told me no.

I also like questions. When communicating with the void (what I'm currently calling life, the universe, and everything) questions are good. They lead to thought, self-reflection, and growth. Questions like these beget questions. No answers needed. These are the sorts of questions that keep things flowing, allow for feedback, and help maintain balance. And answers do come back unexpectedly too. Sometimes without even knowing the question.

Answers without questions. "42". Hitchhiker's is one of my favorite books of all time. Given to me by my friend Bret when we were in junior high, it is one of those deep yet incredibly riotous works. If you haven't read it, read it. If you have, you know what I'm talking about. You've got the answer. Now we need the question. That's what Life is for, no?

Peace.

No comments: