Gather and see the music
with original portraits on vinyl.

Home | About | Press | FAQ | Gallery | Shop | Custom

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Storied Past

David Lynch - (i) by photo by David Lynch

[EDIT - 7/27/09: The below contest over, I've painted Alice Cooper for Zane, the winner with this entry. I received 10 entries this time! I've posted them here with the painting of Alice.]

Brian Clark's post using me as an example suggested I look to music trivia, giving it to my audience to put you in a nostalgic mood in which you might be more inclined to buy a piece. It might work. The problem is that it wouldn't be me. My gut rejects what I find manipulative. I'd rather know about you. Stories persist, facts fade.

I know I've asked a bunch about your stories, but I'm going to make good on an idea I had before Jason died and run another contest. The rules will be the same: you somehow convey a story about your past as it relates to music, I'll pick my 10 favorites (assuming there are 10+), and then randomly choose the winner (or if there are a LOT of entries, I'll put my top 10 up for a vote by all entrants). I'm hoping to get more than a couple entries this time, but Paticus's story was so awesome last time that it was well worth it anyway.

See, that's me. I'm looking for quality. I know I ask a lot of you to read these rambles, to pay me and my art attention. But I like stories. It's one main reason why I like movies by David Lynch as much as I do.

So for the month of June, I'll accept entries in pretty much any form. The winner gets a framed piece of Vinyl Art of their choice. The top 10 will be featured in my blog sidebar. And all entrants who want one can have an oval VA sticker.

And the really REALLY cool news about this David Lynch piece will be in my newsletter, which you can get if you email me.

Peace.

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

Great idea! I'll be trying to narrow down my many music related stories for a good one :)

hazel colditz said...

daniel,

just now saw this post when someone mentioned your contest..very cool idea. can't believe there are not more signing up?! always amazes me what people ARE attracted to! anywho, me thinks i might give it a whirl...on this road trip there is nothing but music filled morning/afternoons driving! now the tough part..which musical story shall i relive?
hazel

getpalmd said...

http://getpalmd.blogspot.com/2009/06/music-from-my-past.html

Lisa Call said...

My entry (a full 2 hours before the deadline): http://blog.lisacall.com/music-in-the-studio